Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Going Green....Our first baby step!

For some time now, I have felt the need to start changing the way we do things, and how we live. Several weeks ago, we began switching over the cleaners we use in an effort to "Go Green"! This was our first baby step. Here are several recipes for cleaners we have been using. I feel much better knowing that these cleaners are not polluting the air in my home. (I would like to give credit to Julie at Seekingtheoldpaths for these recipes! If you have not checked out her blog, please do. I know you will enjoy it.)

To replace Ajax with Bleach:
Mix equal parts baking soda and borax. Put these in a shaker container and use like you would Ajax. (Borax is a natural disinfectant.)

To replace Windex:
In a spray bottle mix 1/2 cup vinegar with 2 cups water.

To replace a Disinfectant Cleaner:
2 tsp Tea Tree Oil
2 tsp vegetable oil based soap
2 cups hot water
Mix together in a spray bottle. Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to give this a more pleasant scent.

I look forward to making more changes in the future to help our family and our environment. It can't be done overnight. It is a process that will take time and effort. Alot of folks tell me that my small changes will not make a difference. I know that they will make a difference as long as we all begin to do our part!

3 comments:

Mrs. Taft said...

This is such a great first baby step to take! It's a baby step we took last year, and I've loved it ever since. You're so right that it doesn't happen overnight, it really is a process and a learning experience.

Jen said...

I started using vinegar and water for all purpose cleaner...didn't know that it would work to replace glass cleaner. Good to know!

Thanks for stopping by my little home on the internet. Let me know if you try that yummy cp alfredo...it really is worth it! Hope you can visit often!

Kathie said...

Blessings from Costa Rica